America Recycles Day, an initiative of Keep America Beautiful, is celebrated on November 15 each year. We are encouraging all Arkansans to reduce, reuse, and recycle on America Recycles Day and every day.
Recycling conserves resources and eliminates expensive landfilling. It is extremely important that Arkansans adopt contentious recycling habits for a greater quality of life for all communities.
Many of the items tossed out daily can be transformed into something useful. Here are three fun upcycling projects that you can try with your family this Sunday, America Recycles Day.
Monster Shampoo Bottle Pencil Holders
These monster pencil holders are perfect for your child’s homework or drawing station.
An empty shampoo bottle
Black and white construction paper
An X-Acto knife
1. Remove the label from the shampoo bottle and outline the eyes, mouth and head of the monster using a pencil.
2. Insert the X-Acto knife above the top of the monster head to make an initial cut. Then, cut off the top of the bottle with scissors.
3. Draw the arms of the monster on the section that was just cut off.
4. Cut them out and glue them on the back of the bottle.
5. Cut out eyes, teeth and a mouth using construction paper and place them wherever you’d like!
6. Use 3M strips or double-sided tape to stick your new pets on the wall.
Peppermint Christmas Ornaments
Christmas is right around the corner. Create some new ornaments for your tree with cardboard tissue paper rolls that you might normally throw out.
Two cardboard tissue paper rolls
Red and white acrylic paint
1. Paint one tube red and the other white.
2. Then, fold the tube down to make it flat when it’s dry.
3. Cut each tube into five strips.
5. Glue the pieces together to make whatever shape you would like – alternating the colors, then hang it with a piece of string or ribbon.
Reusable Jar Q-Tip Holder
Give your jar another life and by transforming it to something that will be reused again and again.
A small empty food jar
A knob-like item (Example: Bottle cork, tiny toy trinket, etc.)
1. First, clean out the jar.
2. Second, paint the lid a color that matches your bathroom.
3. Last, paint and glue your trinket to the top of the jar and let it dry.