How to Have Litter-Free Summer Fun
Whether it’s a holiday celebration, an outing with friends or a family reunion, chances are you’ll enjoy more than one picnic this summer. Arkansas, known across the country for its natural beauty, is the perfect place for picnicking. There are places to stop and enjoy nature all over the state. Help us keep Arkansas picnic-friendly and picnic-ready. With a little planning for a litter-free picnic, you can reduce the amount of waste generated on your outing. Here are a few ideas to help you get ready for your summertime outdoor adventures:
- Use reusable plates, cups and utensils. Disposable utensils are convenient to toss in the trash or recycling, but it’s more affordable and earth-conscious to bring metal utensils from home. Simply stash used utensils in a dish (that carried your picnic lunch) to take home for easy cleaning.
- Opt for cloth napkins over paper. Bring a few dishtowels instead of paper towels. Bring along a matching tablecloth and style your picnic with brightly colored linens and dishware.
- If you’re an avid picnicker, dedicate a basket or bin for your outings and keep it filled with reusable plates, cups, linens, trash bags and a big blanket, so you’re always prepared.
- Steer clear of individually-wrapped snacks. You save money and the environment by being conscious of packaging when grocery-shopping for your picnic.
- Recycle whatever you can, even if that means bringing a recycling bag and tossing it into your bin at home.
- Don’t set off fireworks, even if it is allowed. Fireworks create litter that you can’t easily find. Most cities and towns have fireworks celebrations that are much more impressive than anything you can set off on your own.
- Always pick up your trash or, better yet, try not to create Sometimes that’s not possible, so be sure to pack bags to carry out your trash. You may plan your picnic at a location with trash and recycle bins, but sometimes you don’t know. It’s always best to be prepared and keep a few trash bags.